9/27/11

From “Mr. Jefferson’s University” to George Washington’s Estate...

Salutations fellow Arcadians! My name is Adam and I’m the newest farmhand (read: intern) at Arcadia. A little bit about me: I’m a local kid. In fact, I grew up less than 5 miles from the farm. After graduating from nearby Robert E. Lee High School I obtained a B.A. in Politics from the University of Virginia in 2008.

Since then I’ve developed a passion for food working in restaurants throughout Virginia and the Carolinas. The marriage of this passion with my background in political and social philosophy has led me to pursue a career in the sustainable food movement. To me farming is the perfect synthesis of several personal values, namely health, hard work, physical vigor, and self-reliance. It doesn’t hurt that I get to work outside either.

In the next couple months I’ll be contributing to this blog and documenting my work on the farm at Woodlawn, as well as my involvement in Arcadia’s other exciting projects like the Mobile Market and the Farm-to-School network.

I am extremely privileged to work with Arcadia’s staff and be on the frontlines of such an important endeavor. Everyone I’ve met so far has been really cool! If I can glean even a little of the knowledge these folks put to use every day I will be far better for it.

Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment