7/1/12

Swinging Squash Salad

I refer to our Thursday Mobile Market stop at the SW Waterfront as my "work party."  It's a lovely, relaxed venue -- there's awesome music from local bands, and a pleasant breeze from the nearby marina.  A few other vendors provide prepared food, such as the neighborhood staple, King Rib BBQ.  Many patrons bring freshly steamed seafood from the Maine Avenue Fish Market just a few blocks down the way.

This past week, the Daryl Davis band played some excellent Blues Boogie that got the crowd moving and grooving.  My co-worker, Alex, is an excellent dancer and taught me a simple three step swing that had me living out my Dancing with the Stars fantasies and kept me going for the rest of the evening.

Last Thursday, Zephyr and Crooked Neck Yellow Squash were in abundance on the Mobile Market, so I prepared an easy, no-cook dish.  After only five minutes in the kitchen, you'll have plenty of time to dance the night away as well.


Swinging Yellow-Squash Salad

3 tbsp fresh lemon juice or Balsamic vinegar
3 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 yellow squash (~ 1 pound), halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
2 scallions or 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
2 tsp fresh or ¼ tsp dried Thyme leaves
Optional: 1 tsp leaves of Lemon Verbena or fresh Oregano, minced

Whisk together lemon juice or Balsamic vinegar and oil in a large bowl.  Season with salt and pepper.  Add squash, scallions or onion, thyme and optional herbs, if using.  Toss to combine.  Let stand 5 minutes before serving.  Serves 4.  

No comments:

Post a Comment