6/17/13

Welcome Arcadia's new Tufts University Interns, Gene and Mae!


We're thrilled to be hosting two more Tufts University Active Citizenship Summer fellows this year. Gene Buonaccorsi and Mae Humiston will be contributing their talents and passions to the Mobile Market and Farm to School Programs, respectively.  Read on to learn more about our newest additions to the team!

Gene Buonaccorsi

What experiences have prepared you for this Fellowship?    

As a recent Community Health undergraduate, I have a solid understanding of issues relating to health justice, food access, and assistance programs. Extensive classwork concerned with program design and implementation gives me a solid background for understanding the Mobile Market’s goal and decision-making processes.   

Outside of that, much of my enthusiasm for the position comes from a desire to put my learned skills into action. I have always been a hands-on person and have enjoyed taking part in small projects where my efforts can actually influence the outcome. The nature of the Mobile Market is such that I will be able to practice outreach and program management, while also gaining farm-based knowledge and a greater awareness of the implications of community involvement.      

What is most exciting to you about joining the Arcadia Team?    

The Arcadia Team is one that provides solutions. Whether through farm education or food access assistance programs, there is positive change happening across the board. I’m extremely excited to be working for a group of people that share such a knowledge of and passion for progress. The Mobile Market -- where I will be spending much of my time -- is a perfect example of the forward thinking, engagement oriented mindset of the staff at Arcadia. It will be a pleasure to learn from the people who designed the organization's programs.   

What are some of your goals for 2013?    

I look forward to challenging myself in all aspects of my work this summer. From effectively assisting market patrons to learning about foods and herbs I've never heard about, there are news experiences at every turn. My goal is not to work without making any mistakes, but to work with meaning and purpose and persistence.

I also hope to contribute some of my unique skills and ideas to the different programs at Arcadia.  For example, my passion for communications and media will hopefully allow me to provide some tangibles (videos and written materials) that will further the reach and significance of the wonderful programs that I will be involved with.    

What’s your favorite healthy recipe?    

As an athlete, I used to struggle to build meals that had adequate protein (allowing me to recover from workouts), while also getting my vitamins and avoiding unnecessary fats. That is, until I got my hands on a blender. Doubling as a healthy meal replacement, my peanut butter and banana smoothies have kept me going through many a tiring day.   

- 1 banana  
- 1 small scoop of organic creamy peanut butter   
- ½ cup of skim chocolate milk   
- 2 tablespoons low fat vanilla yogurt   
- 1 multivitamin tablet   
- 4 ice cubes   
Blend until liquified, and take on the go if necessary.   

If you were a vegetable, what would you be?   

If I were a vegetable I would be a potato, and not because it's my favorite vegetable (although that is also true).  I would be a potato because I’m useful in a number of different situations. Whether as an able and willing set of hands on the farm, as a program planner, or as a creative communicator, I feel that my skills lends themselves to a number of important tasks.  Vegetable-wise, one day I’m sliced and baked, the next day I’m mashed -- and delicious, no matter what.

Mae Humiston

What experiences have prepared you for this Fellowship?  

I was born and raised in western Virginia in a largely agricultural area, so I’ve been around food production most of my life. When I went to college, I focused on agriculture as an independent study through my Anthropology major, doing internships at The Food Project, on a historic estate farm, and on a farm on conservation land. Working and living in a wide range of agricultural production and sales models has given me a good idea of the state of sustainable agriculture today, but I’m looking to learn more about how these models are connecting with our school systems and other institutions—which is why I’m here now.

What is most exciting to you about joining the Arcadia Team?  

I am most excited about the multifaceted approach of Arcadia and observing how sustainable production, sales, education, and food justice can intertwine. I’m also really looking forward to helping teach the new generation of conscious farmers, foodies, and feasters!

What are some of your goals for 2013?  

I’m hoping to come away from this internship with a better understanding of the workings of a food-focused non-profit, a stronger network of acquaintances and friends concerned about food and farming issues, and, of course, the chance to work with kids, farms, and food.

What’s your favorite healthy recipe?  

Butternut Squash and Goat Cheese Pizza

Ingredients:
Your favorite pizza dough
Butternut squash
Goat cheese
Head of garlic
White sauce (good recipes can be found online: http://www.food.com/recipe/white-pizza-sauce-279060)

Steps:
  1. Roast your head of garlic and your butternut squash
  2. Mix your garlic cloves in with your white sauce
  3. Spread white sauce/garlic mixture on dough
  4. Spread roasted butternut squash over white sauce
  5. Plop dollops of goat cheese on top
  6. Cook for however long your pizza dough requires
  7. FEAST (Feel free to add whatever other toppings you fancy. This pizza is especially good with spinach and caramelized onions!)

If you were a vegetable, what would you be?

I would probably be a radish because, like a radish, I grow best in full sun and I love to hang out in the soil! I can also be a little spicy if you dig down a bit, but generally I’m low key and green!

1 comment:

  1. people love to have food for their need. There are many people who take care for one another through dissertation writing. Food has the big need for the people. Its research meets the desire level of satisfaction for the people.

    ReplyDelete