4/21/14

Meet Janet: Park Ranger turned Mobile Market Operator

We're excited to be expanding our Mobile Market team this year to include Janet Hofman.  She'll be helping to increase our capacity to ten weekly market stops per week. She's a great addition to the team, with a wide range of experiences. 

What most excites you about joining Arcadia?
I am most excited about meeting new people and teaching them about the variety of food that is grown locally, right in our own region.

What have you done in the past that's prepared you for this work?
When I was a Park Ranger, my main job was to develop and present a variety of programs to our visitors, educating them about our resources and, more importantly, hoping to inspire them to appreciate and care for our environment.

I think my passion for food and the farm-to-table process began when I became a vegetarian and, for the first time, was really aware of what my food was and where it came from. That passion has grown over the years while working in various restaurants, a retail food market, taking culinary classes, and traveling. I'm pretty sure my cooking has improved during these journeys as well!

If you were a vegetable, what would you be? 
I would like to be a watermelon radish because it is vibrant and spicy.

Which season has the best produce, and why?
Although I enjoy being creative with root veggies in the winter, I am always longing for more fruit and delicious tomatoes!  So, I'll have to say summer.  As a kid, I always looked forward to going up north in Michigan to pick wild blueberries. 

No comments:

Post a Comment